Tuesday 29 March 2011

Handmade Seller Interview: Celentano Woodworks

The Handmade Feature today is an interview with the owner of Celentano Woodworks on Etsy, a seller of creative guitars and other amazing handmade instruments. I fell in love with the apple guitar as soon as I saw it - isn't it fantastic?!

How did you get started in your handmade business?
I've been making and experimenting with instruments since i was 15. It became more of a business when the economy crashed and was out of work from my construction job. Thats when I had nothing to loose and decided to do what I enjoy most and actually make a living doing it.

What first made you want to become an artist/craftsperson?
Art was always a big part of my life ever since I was young. My family was definitely the type to always have art supplies for me to play with. As I grew up, I learned more about woodworking and construction from my father.

Apart fom crafts, what do you like to do in your spare time?
Can't say I have much spare time :) HA. But in all reality, catching a couple minutes of a movie before passing out on the couch means the world when it happens. As well as eating dinner.

How long have you been creating art/crafts and how long have you been selling online?
I've been building and repairing instrument for 15 years. I started selling online in 2009.

How many different places do you sell from?
At the moment, I do all my business through Etsy (CelentanoWoodworks.Etsy.com)

What handmade possession do you most cherish?
Probably the first guitar i ever made. It was an electric guitar that looked like a lizard. It had glass eyes and the cable came out of the mouth as the tongue.

What is your favorite part of your handmade business?
The best part is playing it for the first time and hearing the fruits of my labor.



What are your hopes and aspirations for your store and where do you see yourself going from here?
Hopefully I can continue having the time of my life being able to make cool stuff for people to rock and roll with :) As time goes on, I am receiving request for bigger and wilder pieces like full size guitars and cellos. My aspirations are definitely to grow and to push the limits.

What are three tools in your workspace that you could not live without?
6" starrett ruler, table saw, and music in the shop.

If you could have one super power, what would it be and why?
I would love the ability to stop time. It would be awesome if I could get 48 hours of work done in one day.

And that's the end of this week's feature!

No comments: